Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Welcome to Fascism 101

I almost don't want to actually write this down, but after reading Sara Robinson' "Fascist America: are we there yet?" http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2009083205/fascist-america-are-we-there-yet, I "don't got no choice." Some years ago in the Poconos, at the end or start of one of our anti-war vigils, I talked about the rise and spread of fascism in the US, and it was picked up and printed in our local paper, and I was excoriated for it... One newspaper reader who always had something to say even suggested I be tried for sedition...

The truth is I don't want to talk about this, but yes, I do think if we are not there yet, we are very close. We've had the roving bands of nationalistic thugs around for a while (vigilante groups such as the Minute Men) and what I realized a while back, and a reason for my long silence from writing down my thoughts, is that the fact that we have a Black president who also has a foreign name, and actually God forbid a foreign parent (all the nonsense about his birth certificate is related to this) has pushed some final buttons in the minds of the 'thugs that be.' So in a way, it's all possible now. Welcome, not only to Fascism 101, but to Columbine redux!

More on all of this later...

No comments: