Friday, May 22, 2009

In love but pissed off?

Well, I heard the man speak at the Notre Dame commencement... he is charming, he talks a good game, he makes you want to cheer and applaud and stand up and say BRAVO! And I made myself wait four days before I commented because the truth is that I sat and watched and smiled and frowned (smiled more than I frowned). He speaks truth, but now he is not speaking truth to power, because at least in some significant way, he IS the power...

And I am still having trouble with the inane comments about the 'mistakes' of those who ordered torture, and not having a very good time of it with what is shaping up to be a health care fiasco... they are not going to give an inch, because they (meaning the bloated health/pharmaceutical 'industry') are sitting pretty, no matter how angry we all are. They resemble countries that continue to bomb and torture and demean other countries, but have 'bought' our approval. 'nuff said... No one is talking about the various 'scams' such as the Medicare (more expensive medicine for a rapidly aging population) perpetrated by this 'industry' back when GWB was smiling his approval...

My biggest problem, of course, is with the whole war issue. This was an election that was ultimately won because we wanted change, INCLUDING bring the troops home. Instead, we are now bombing, via unmanned drones, other places... creating yet more families that will mourn our existence... and vow revenge.

But when he talks as he did last Sunday, for just a short while, you want to believe...

No comments: