Friday, May 22, 2009

A mild post about strawberries and the ballet...

Taking a break from bitching about empire to laud the San Francisco Ballet and Bay area strawberries... The ballet is among the best companies I've ever seen, and that includes the Cuban National Ballet with Alicia Alonso and the American Ballet Theatre... interestingly enough, the SFB has a number of Cuban soloists, character dancer and corps-de-ballet dancers. I am sure most of them by now are US citizens but the point is that they were all born where I was born, in la Habana...

And the strawberries were so juicy and fresh and sweet... I bought them from a young Mexican who was selling in the street, and bit into one, and started talking to myself... 'SO this is how strawberries are supposed to taste!~' I lived for so many years in the NE where most of our produce was trucked from faraway places, one never did taste (for the most part) really fresh produce! So strawberries were rather tasteless and frequently bitter.

Tomorrow we will go back to figuring out how to stop the war and kill (I want them out) the pharma/health merchants of death... but for today, I am going to eat sweet juicy strawberries and dream of la Habana...

About empire, though, one of my bisabuela's frequent sayings...

No hay mal que dure cien aƱos
ni cuerpo que lo resista

(There is no evil that can last 100 years
nor a body that can put up with it)

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I envy you your strawberries. I live in New York, so I know what you mean. Sometimes we can get local strawberries on Long Island, but it's short-lived.

America is not a country said...

I know! I had 'strawberry-itis' from eating so many strawberries, but they were so truly wonderful I could not stop!

Where in New York? I lived in New York for a very short while... on the West Side, 103rd...